My Favorite Bread Pudding
- Ingredients :
- 16 ounce French Bread
- 4 cup milk
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup Priesters Pecans (chopped)
- 1-1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Custard Sauce :
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup half n half
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Ingredients: Cube the French Bread in 1" pieces, place bread in a lightly greased 9-x 13-inch pan. Add milk and let stand 10 minutes. Blend mixture well using your hands. Stir in eggs and next 4 ingredients. Bake at 325 degrees for 40 to 45 minutes or until firm. Serve with Custard Sauce. Custard Sauce: Bring first 3 ingredients to a boil in a heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Reduce heat and simmer mixture 5 minutes. Cool and stir in vanilla. Serve warm over warm bread pudding. Reba suggests: "some folks use croissants, but I like the texture better using French Bread".
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use other types of bread or milk?
Yes, you can use other types of bread to make this bread pudding recipe. Some popular choices include challah bread, brioche bread, and French bread. You also can switch out the type of milk you use especially if you prefer a non-dairy alternative! Yes, you can use other types of milk in this recipe. Some popular choices include almond milk, oat milk, and coconut milk.
How long does this recipe last?
This recipe will keep for up to 3 days in the refrigerator or up to 2 months in the freezer. If you decide to freeze, just follow these simple steps:
- Remove the bread pudding from the freezer and let it thaw in the refrigerator overnight. This will help to prevent the bread pudding from becoming soggy.
- Once the bread pudding is thawed, you can reheat it in the oven or the microwave.
- To reheat the bread pudding in the oven, preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (175 degrees Celsius). Place the bread pudding in a baking dish and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until heated through.
- To reheat the bread pudding in the microwave, place the bread pudding on a microwave-safe plate and microwave on high for 2-3 minutes, or until heated through.
What are some other toppings I can use?
Bread pudding is delicious on its own but toppings can make it even better! Try topping this bread pudding with your favorite ice cream toppings, such as vanilla sauce, caramel sauce, whipped cream, or fresh fruit.
How do I prevent my bread pudding from being dry?
The best way to prevent your bread pudding from getting dry is to use stale bread. Stale bread absorbs more liquid, which makes the bread pudding more moist. If you don't have any stale bread, you can toast it slightly. But the key to preventing it from being dry is to soak the bread in milk for at least 10 minutes. This will help the bread absorb the milk and make it easier to mix. It's also important not to overmix the bread pudding because it can make it too tough. And of course, you can always top the bread pudding with a sauce to add moisture and flavor!